Italy names team for London 2012 Olympic Games
06 July 2012
The Italian Olympic Committee has confirmed the Italian triathlon team for the London 2012 Olympic Games, naming Alessandro Fabian and Davide Uccellari to compete in the men’s triathlon event and Annamaria Mazzetti in the women’s competition.
Mazzetti has had an excellent two years on the ITU circuit, which coincided perfectly with the Olympic Qualification period. She has claimed three ITU World Cup silver medals, at Huatulco in 2011 and Tiszaujvaros in the same year, and at Holten in 2010, as well as a bronze medal at the 2011 ETU Triathlon European Championships. London 2012 will be her first Olympics.
Fabian and Uccellari are also both making their Olympics debut, and have also been making a steady rise up the ITU ranks. Fabian capped his qualification period off with a career best fifth place finish at the ITU World Triathlon Madrid. The 2009 U23 Duathlon World Champion also finished fifth at the 2011 and 2012 ETU Triathlon European Championships.
Uccellari broke through for his first ITU World Cup podium in Ishigaki this year, and the silver medal there was enough to put him firmly in the Olympic qualification picture and keep him there when it ended on May 31. He claimed silver at the 2011 Eilat U23 ETU Triathlon European Championships. At just 20 years old, he will be one of the youngest athletes in the men’s triathlon competition in London.
The naming of Italy’s team for the London 2012 Olympic Games means that the final Olympic fields are almost finalised. For a full list of all athletes qualified for London so far, please click here
Registered Media Users: Click here to download Images, Audio and Video from this event
2012 London Olympic Games
- 05/07/12 - Germany names team for London 2012 Olympic Games
- 21/06/12 - Spain reveals London 2012 Olympic team
- 19/06/12 - Russia announces Olympic Team for London 2012
- 15/06/12 - Switzerland reveals London 2012 Olympic team
- 14/06/12 - France selects team for London 2012 Olympics
- 12/06/12 - Canada announces Olympic team for London 2012
- 12/06/12 - Australian women’s team finalised for London 2012
- 09/06/12 - British Olympic team announced for London 2012
- 05/06/12 - Japan announces Olympic team for London 2012
- 04/06/12 - Australian men’s team named for London 2012 Olympic Games
- 12/03/12 - Olympic Qualification 101 – How athletes and countries get to London 2012
- 20/02/12 - ITU selects Technical Officials for triathlon competition at London 2012
- 22/12/11 - Best of 2011: The race for the London 2012 Olympic Games
- 28/04/11 - Triathlon a sell out hit at London 2012