'How athletes can minimize risk in a Triathlon' webinar, available online
World Triathlon has successfully hosted a webinar on “How athletes can minimize risk in a Triathlon”, organised by the Global Triathlon Safety Task Force and with World Triathlon Head of Operations, Thanos Nikopoulos, as a facilitator and host. More than 50 persons attended the seminar, focused on how safety at the race is the responsibility of everyone associated with the sport. For those who were not able to attend, World Triathlon has published the webinar on the Education Hub, with topics covered including best practices to help athletes, race directors, coaches and clubs take greater responsibility to minimize risks during the race.
Other topics discussed were:
· Most frequent causes of problems
· What triathletes can do to prepare for safe race
· The role race directors can play in supporting triathletes
· What coaches and clubs can do to educate their members on safety
· The role National Federations have in spreading the word about safety
The host was joined by six panelists that brought a depth of knowledge and real-life perspectives to the conversation.
· Verity Miles, Age Group and Elite Multisport Manager, British Triathlon
· Dag Oliver, World Triathlon Technical Official, Past CEO of Norseman and past Secretary General of the Norwegian Triathlon Federation
· Doug Hiller, Co-Director, Global Triathlon Safety Database, Vice Chair, World Triathlon Medical and Anti-Doping Committee, Clinical Professor, Washington State University
· Johanne Suss-Burckel, Athletes’ Services Manager, World Triathlon
· Beth Atnip, Vice President, Global Operations, Ironman Group
· Marilyn Chychota, Head Coach and Owner, Marilyn Chychota Coaching (MCC)
· Thanos Nikopoulos, Head of Operations, World Triathlon
· Mike Wien, Chair of the Global Triathlon Safety Task Force was the moderator
Please watch this video and the presentation, and share it with your triathlon friends to help make our sport safer for everyone.